This year’s British Academy film award nominees have been announced and they’re largely as expected, with the big-hitters rising to the top again. I’ve not seen very many of them yet, but will write a few reviews as soon as possible of the ones I’ve seen and then try to catch a few more over the next few weeks, Here’s my annual printable PDF ballot for you to print out and have a go at predicting the winners.
The full list of nominees for this year’s BAFTAs are:
1917 Pippa Harris, Callum McDougall, Sam Mendes, Jayne-Ann Tenggren – my review is coming soon.
THE IRISHMAN Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal, Martin Scorsese, Emma Tillinger Koskoff
JOKER Bradley Cooper, Todd Phillips, Emma Tillinger Koskoff
ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh, Quentin Tarantino
PARASITE Bong Joon Ho, Kwak Sin Ae
OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
1917 Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Callum McDougall, Jayne-Ann Tenggren, Krysty Wilson-Cairns – my review is coming soon.
BAIT Mark Jenkin, Kate Byers, Linn Waite
FOR SAMA Waad al-Kateab, Edward Watts
ROCKETMAN Dexter Fletcher, Adam Bohling, David Furnish, David Reid, Matthew Vaughn, Lee Hall
SORRY WE MISSED YOU Ken Loach, Rebecca O’Brien, Paul Laverty
THE TWO POPES Fernando Meirelles, Jonathan Eirich, Dan Lin, Tracey Seaward, Anthony McCarten
OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
BAIT Mark Jenkin (Writer/Director), Kate Byers, Linn Waite (Producers)
FOR SAMA Waad al-Kateab (Director/Producer), Edward Watts (Director)
MAIDEN Alex Holmes (Director)
ONLY YOU Harry Wootliff (Writer/Director)
RETABLO Álvaro Delgado-Aparicio (Writer/Director)
FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
THE FAREWELL Lulu Wang, Daniele Melia – my review is coming soon.
FOR SAMA Waad al-Kateab, Edward Watts
PAIN AND GLORY Pedro Almodóvar, Agustín Almodóvar
PARASITE Bong Joon Ho
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE Céline Sciamma, Bénédicte Couvreur
AMERICAN FACTORY Steven Bognar, Julia Reichert
APOLLO 11 Todd Douglas Miller
DIEGO MARADONA Asif Kapadia
FOR SAMA Waad al-Kateab, Edward Watts
THE GREAT HACK Karim Amer, Jehane Noujaim
FROZEN 2 Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee, Peter Del Vecho
KLAUS Sergio Pablos, Jinko Gotoh
A SHAUN THE SHEEP MOVIE: FARMAGEDDON Will Becher, Richard Phelan, Paul Kewley
TOY STORY 4 Josh Cooley, Mark Nielsen – my review is coming soon.
1917 Sam Mendes – my review is coming soon.
THE IRISHMAN Martin Scorsese
JOKER Todd Phillips
ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD Quentin Tarantino
PARASITE Bong Joon Ho
BOOKSMART Susanna Fogel, Emily Halpern, Sarah Haskins, Katie Silberman
KNIVES OUT Rian Johnson
MARRIAGE STORY Noah Baumbach
ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD Quentin Tarantino
PARASITE Han Jin Won, Bong Joon Ho
THE IRISHMAN Steven Zaillian
JOJO RABBIT Taika Waititi – my review is coming soon.
JOKER Todd Phillips, Scott Silver
LITTLE WOMEN Greta Gerwig
THE TWO POPES Anthony McCarten
JESSIE BUCKLEY Wild Rose
SCARLETT JOHANSSON Marriage Story
SAOIRSE RONAN Little Women
CHARLIZE THERON Bombshell – my review is coming soon.
RENÉE ZELLWEGER Judy
LEONARDO DICAPRIO Once Upon a Time… In Hollywood
ADAM DRIVER Marriage Story
TARON EGERTON Rocketman
JOAQUIN PHOENIX Joker
JONATHAN PRYCE The Two Popes
LAURA DERN Marriage Story
SCARLETT JOHANSSON Jojo Rabbit – my review is coming soon.
FLORENCE PUGH Little Women
MARGOT ROBBIE Bombshell – my review is coming soon.
MARGOT ROBBIE Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
TOM HANKS A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
ANTHONY HOPKINS The Two Popes
AL PACINO The Irishman
JOE PESCI The Irishman
BRAD PITT Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
1917 Thomas Newman – my review is coming soon.
JOJO RABBIT Michael Giacchino – my review is coming soon.
JOKER Hildur Guđnadóttir
LITTLE WOMEN Alexandre Desplat
STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER John Williams – my review is coming soon.
JOKER Shayna Markowitz
MARRIAGE STORY Douglas Aibel, Francine Maisler
ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD Victoria Thomas
THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD Sarah Crowe
THE TWO POPES Nina Gold
1917 Roger Deakins – my review is coming soon.
THE IRISHMAN Rodrigo Prieto
JOKER Lawrence Sher
LE MANS ’66 Phedon Papamichael
THE LIGHTHOUSE Jarin Blaschke
THE IRISHMAN Thelma Schoonmaker
JOJO RABBIT Tom Eagles – my review is coming soon.
JOKER Jeff Groth
LE MANS ’66 Andrew Buckland, Michael McCusker
ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD Fred Raskin
1917 Dennis Gassner, Lee Sandales – my review is coming soon.
THE IRISHMAN Bob Shaw, Regina Graves
JOJO RABBIT Ra Vincent, Nora Sopková – my review is coming soon.
JOKER Mark Friedberg, Kris Moran
ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD Barbara Ling, Nancy Haigh
THE IRISHMAN Christopher Peterson, Sandy Powell
JOJO RABBIT Mayes C. Rubeo – my review is coming soon.
JUDY Jany Temime
LITTLE WOMEN Jacqueline Durran
ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD Arianne Phillips
MAKE UP & HAIR
1917 Naomi Donne – my review is coming soon.
BOMBSHELL Vivian Baker, Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan – my review is coming soon.
JOKER Kay Georgiou, Nicki Ledermann
JUDY Jeremy Woodhead
ROCKETMAN Lizzie Yianni Georgiou
1917 Scott Millan, Oliver Tarney, Rachael Tate, Mark Taylor, Stuart Wilson
JOKER Tod Maitland, Alan Robert Murray, Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic
LE MANS ’66 David Giammarco, Paul Massey, Steven A. Morrow, Donald Sylvester
ROCKETMAN Matthew Collinge, John Hayes, Mike Prestwood Smith, Danny Sheehan
STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER David Acord, Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio, Stuart Wilson, Matthew Wood – my review is coming soon.
SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS – My thoughts on this category can be found here!
1917 Greg Butler, Guillaume Rocheron, Dominic Tuohy – my review is coming soon.
AVENGERS: ENDGAME Dan Deleeuw, Dan Sudick – my review is coming soon.
THE IRISHMAN Leandro Estebecorena, Stephane Grabli, Pablo Helman
THE LION KING Andrew R. Jones, Robert Legato, Elliot Newman, Adam Valdez – my review is coming soon.
STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER Roger Guyett, Paul Kavanagh, Neal Scanlan, Dominic Tuohy – my review is coming soon.
BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION
GRANDAD WAS A ROMANTIC. Maryam Mohajer
IN HER BOOTS Kathrin Steinbacher
THE MAGIC BOAT Naaman Azhari, Lilia Laurel
BRITISH SHORT FILM
AZAAR Myriam Raja, Nathanael Baring
GOLDFISH Hector Dockrill, Harri Kamalanathan, Benedict Turnbull, Laura Dockrill
KAMALI Sasha Rainbow, Rosalind Croad
LEARNING TO SKATEBOARD IN A WARZONE (IF YOU’RE A GIRL) Carol Dysinger, Elena Andreicheva
THE TRAP Lena Headey, Anthony Fitzgerald
EE RISING STAR AWARD
AWKWAFINA – Absolutely brilliant in ‘The Farewell’
KELVIN HARRISON JR.
Here are my predictions (first and second choice indicated) and a few thoughts especially on the few things I’ve actually seen so far. The winners will be announced on Sunday, January 5th 2020. Here’s my printable ballot sheet for you to make your own predictions.
The full list of nominees for the 77th Golden Globes are:
BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
1. THE IRISHMAN – Seems to almost definitely be the frontrunner here, though Scorsese hasn’t endeared himself very well recently, which could work against him.
2. JOKER – Could possibly take it as the critical reception was overwhelmingly positive.
THE TWO POPES
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
CYNTHIA ERIVO – HARRIET
2. SCARLETT JOHANSSON – MARRIAGE STORY
SAOIRSE RONAN – LITTLE WOMEN
CHARLIZE THERON – BOMBSHELL
1. RENÉE ZELLWEGER – JUDY
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
CHRISTIAN BALE – FORD V FERRARI
ANTONIO BANDERAS – PAIN AND GLORY
2. ADAM DRIVER – MARRIAGE STORY
1. JOAQUIN PHOENIX – JOKER – Is this even in need of debating? He’s a great actor, people were blown away by this performance, it’s near enough a lock.
JONATHAN PRYCE – THE TWO POPES
BEST MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
DOLEMITE IS MY NAME
2. JOJO RABBIT – I’m really looking forward to seeing this very soon, it looks wonderful and may manage a surprise win.
1. ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD – Obvious choice which has divided critics a little though not enough to make it an underdog.
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
2. ANA DE ARMAS – KNIVES OUT
1. AWKWAFINA – THE FAREWELL – One of the few I’ve seen so far and it’s brilliant. She’s wonderful, this should be an easy win.
CATE BLANCHETT – WHERE’D YOU GO, BERNADETTE
BEANIE FELDSTEIN – BOOKSMART
EMMA THOMPSON – LATE NIGHT
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
DANIEL CRAIG – KNIVES OUT
ROMAN GRIFFIN DAVIS – JOJO RABBIT
1. LEONARDO DICAPRIO – ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD
2. TARON EGERTON – ROCKETMAN – He’s local, would be nice to see him win, but I think as attention-grabbing as this role is, it’s potentially overshadowed by some of the other nominees.
EDDIE MURPHY – DOLEMITE IS MY NAME – Had some buzz before release but once it was out I heard very little about it and no buzz or praise has lingered so I doubt it’s win-worthy.
BEST MOTION PICTURE – ANIMATED
2. FROZEN 2 – Seems like an obvious choice, maybe too obvious and too soon.
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD
THE LION KING – Really beautiful visual work, but it added nothing of value to the story, so very unlikely to win.
1. TOY STORY 4 – The Toy Story films have been infallible, this had a high risk of disappointing, yet it didn’t, so I think may clinch a win out of relief and enduring affection.
BEST MOTION PICTURE – FOREIGN LANGUAGE
2. THE FAREWELL (USA) – Not going to win, sorry, the winner is as good as set.
LES MISÉRABLES (FRANCE)
PAIN AND GLORY (SPAIN)
1. PARASITE (SOUTH KOREA) – Clear winner, it’s dominating the conversations about foreign language films recently.
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE (FRANCE)
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN ANY MOTION PICTURE
KATHY BATES – RICHARD JEWELL
ANNETTE BENING – THE REPORT
2. LAURA DERN – MARRIAGE STORY
1. JENNIFER LOPEZ – HUSTLERS – There was a lot of buzz about this, though it’s not nominated otherwise, so this may be a win to show a general sense of support for a film that only narrowly missed out.
MARGOT ROBBIE – BOMBSHELL
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN ANY MOTION PICTURE
TOM HANKS – A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
ANTHONY HOPKINS – THE TWO POPES
2. AL PACINO – THE IRISHMAN
JOE PESCI – THE IRISHMAN
1. BRAD PITT – ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD
BEST DIRECTOR – MOTION PICTURE
1. BONG JOON HO – PARASITE – I just have a hunch that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association will exercise the foreign aspect of their organisation, going for someone who might otherwise be overlooked.
SAM MENDES – 1917
TODD PHILLIPS – JOKER
2. MARTIN SCORSESE – THE IRISHMAN – He’s not endeared himself in the industry recently with some critical comments that suggest some insensitivity to audiences and the current state of cinema and the changing nature of distribution.
QUENTIN TARANTINO – ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD
BEST SCREENPLAY – MOTION PICTURE
1. NOAH BAUMBACH – MARRIAGE STORY
BONG JOON HO, HAN JIN WON – PARASITE
ANTHONY MCCARTEN – THE TWO POPES
2. QUENTIN TARANTINO – ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD
STEVEN ZAILLIAN – THE IRISHMAN
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE – MOTION PICTURE
ALEXANDRE DESPLAT – LITTLE WOMEN
2. HILDUR GUÖNADÓTTIR – JOKER
RANDY NEWMAN – MARRIAGE STORY
1. THOMAS NEWMAN – 1917
DANIEL PEMBERTON – MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN
BEST ORIGINAL SONG – MOTION PICTURE
“BEAUTIFUL GHOSTS” — CATS – I can’t see anyone wanting to give Cats an award for anything.
2. “I’M GONNA LOVE ME AGAIN” — ROCKETMAN
1. “INTO THE UNKNOWN” — FROZEN 2 – Seems most likely.
“SPIRIT” — THE LION KING
“STAND UP” — HARRIET
BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
BIG LITTLE LIES
2. THE MORNING SHOW
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
2. JENNIFER ANISTON – THE MORNING SHOW
1. OLIVIA COLMAN – THE CROWN
JODIE COMER – KILLING EVE
NICOLE KIDMAN – BIG LITTLE LIES
REESE WITHERSPOON – THE MORNING SHOW
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
1. BRIAN COX – SUCCESSION
KIT HARINGTON – GAME OF THRONES
RAMI MALEK – MR. ROBOT
TOBIAS MENZIES – THE CROWN
2. BILLY PORTER – POSE
BEST TELEVISION SERIES – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
THE KOMINSKY METHOD
2. THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL – The only one I’ve actually seen in this category, consistently good, maybe not at its very best this last season, however.
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
CHRISTINA APPLEGATE – DEAD TO ME
2. RACHEL BROSNAHAN – THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL
KIRSTEN DUNST – ON BECOMING A GOD IN CENTRAL FLORIDA
NATASHA LYONNE – RUSSIAN DOLL
1. PHOEBE WALLER-BRIDGE – FLEABAG
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
MICHAEL DOUGLAS – THE KOMINSKY METHOD
1. BILL HADER – BARRY
BEN PLATT – THE POLITICIAN
2. PAUL RUDD – LIVING WITH YOURSELF – I really loved this show, it had some great ideas and developed them very well indeed, plus Rudd pulls a double shift so is rightly included in this category.
RAMY YOUSSEF – RAMY
BEST TELEVISION LIMITED SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
1. CHERNOBYL – I think this could, and should, sweep the awards for which it’s nominated.
THE LOUDEST VOICE
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
KAITLYN DEVER – UNBELIEVABLE
JOEY KING – THE ACT
HELEN MIRREN – CATHERINE THE GREAT
2. MERRITT WEVER – UNBELIEVABLE
1. MICHELLE WILLIAMS – FOSSE/VERDON
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
CHRISTOPHER ABBOTT – CATCH-22
SACHA BARON COHEN – THE SPY
RUSSELL CROWE – THE LOUDEST VOICE
1. JARED HARRIS – CHERNOBYL – Superb throughout, it was compelling and he anchored the whole series, a clear winner to me.
2. SAM ROCKWELL – FOSSE/VERDON
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
PATRICIA ARQUETTE – THE ACT
1. HELENA BONHAM CARTER – THE CROWN
TONI COLLETTE – UNBELIEVABLE
2. MERYL STREEP – BIG LITTLE LIES
EMILY WATSON – CHERNOBYL
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
ALAN ARKIN – THE KOMINSKY METHOD
2. KIERAN CULKIN – SUCCESSION
1. ANDREW SCOTT – FLEABAG
STELLAN SKARSGÅRD – CHERNOBYL
HENRY WINKLER – BARRY
NOTE: This post is about the Golden Globes that will be awarded on Sunday the 5th of January 2020 for which the nominees were announced in December 2019.
Download our 2020 Golden Globes Ballot PDF here! Or as images by clicking on the thumbnails! The main start to the big awards season and what I consider to be my warm-up at predicting awards winners is the Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s Golden Globe Awards, on Sunday January 5th. Join in with your friends and family using our 2020 Golden Globes Ballot you can print out and fill in! I’ve not yet seen very many of these nominees at all, so my predictions will be based more on what I’ve heard than the very little I’ve seen, which may increase a tiny bit in the weeks leading up to bigger Awards such as the BAFTAs and Oscars. Have a go yourself and please comment below what your predictions are. I’ve will be using my normal scoring system, 1. to indicate my first choice of what I think will win, 2. to show what I think could beat my first choice, and usually I put a P. for my personal choice of what I think should win. This can later be scored as 2pts for a correct first choice win and 1pt for a correct 2nd choice, no points are given for personal preferences winning as that’s more out of interest and self-expression but really you can use whatever scoring system you like!
Again the PDF download is here for the 2020 Golden Globes Ballot and I’ll do a post in a few weeks with my usually terrible guesses of who’s going to win!
I have a special place in my heart for classic 90’s sitcom ‘Mad About You’, which made its way to UK screens a lot later than sister-show ‘Friends’ and never got the same appreciation it deserved, except in my house. My whole family enjoy it, a rarity, and I imported the limited amount of episodes available from the US.
There were rumours of the show returning a while ago, and today I saw that not only has that come to fruition, but there’s a trailer, and the limited series is coming in just one week’s time!
If it has even half the charm and humour of the original series I’ll take this as a very welcome bit of sitcom to enjoy over the cold winter months, and hopefully it’ll help get the original series onto a streaming platform I can enjoy, because the low-res YouTube rips don’t always do it justice. Though I have to say, I’ve watched Season 3 episode ‘Giblets for Murray’ on there often and laugh every time.
I’ve had a go at predicting the winners below, using my normal system of 1. for most likely winner, 2. for what’ll win if the first choice doesn’t, and I’ve indicated a P. for my personal preference of who I would like to see win where applicable.
Also, you can download a full printable 2019 Oscar PDF ballot sheet here that can be completed digitally or printed and written on old school. Why not have a go at predicting the winners or challenge your friends and family to do the same. I’ll be watching the ceremony tomorrow night eagerly, though I don’t expect many big upsets or surprises, though I hope for some!
- P. Black Panther
- Bohemian Rhapsody
- The Favourite
- 2. Green Book
- 1. Roma
- A Star Is Born
- 2. Christian Bale – Vice
- Bradley Cooper – A Star Is Born
- Willem Dafoe – At Eternity’s Gate
- 1P. Rami Malek – Bohemian Rhapsody
- Viggo Mortensen – Green Book
- P. Yalitza Aparicio – Roma
- 2. Glenn Close – The Wife
- 1. Olivia Colman – The Favourite
- Lady Gaga – A Star Is Born
- Melissa McCarthy – Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Best supporting actor
- 1. Mahershala Ali – Green Book
- Adam Driver – BlacKkKlansman
- 2P. Sam Elliott – A Star Is Born
- Richard E Grant – Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- Sam Rockwell – Vice
Best supporting actress
- Amy Adams – Vice
- Marina de Tavira – Roma
- 1. Regina King – If Beale Street Could Talk
- Emma Stone – The Favourite
- 2. Rachel Weisz – The Favourite
- 1P. Alfonso Cuaron – Roma
- Yorgos Lanthimos – The Favourite
- 2. Spike Lee – BlacKkKlansman
- Adam McKay – Vice
- Pawel Pawlikowski – Cold War
Best adapted screenplay
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
- 1. BlacKkKlansman
- 2. Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- If Beale Street Could Talk
- P. A Star Is Born
Best original screenplay
Best foreign language film
- Capernaum – Lebanon
- 2. Cold War – Poland
- Never Look Away – Germany
- 1P. Roma – Mexico
- Shoplifters – Japan
Best original song
- 2P. All The Stars – Black Panther
- I’ll Fight – RBG
- The Place Where Lost Things Go – Mary Poppins Returns
- 1. Shallow – A Star Is Born
- When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings – The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Best original score
- BlacKkKlansman – Terence Blanchard
- 2P. Black Panther – Ludwig Goransson
- 1. If Beale Street Could Talk – Nicholas Britell
- Isle of Dogs – Alexandre Desplat
- Mary Poppins Returns – Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman
Best animated feature
Best documentary feature
Best costume design
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs – Mary Zophres
- 1P. Black Panther – Ruth E. Carter
- 2. The Favourite – Sandy Powell
- Mary Poppins Returns – Sandy Powell
- Mary Queen of Scots – Alexandra Byrne
Best make-up and hairstyling
- 2. Mary Queen of Scots
- 1. Vice
Best production design
Best visual effects
Best film editing
Best sound editing
Best sound mixing
Best animated short
Best live action short
- 1. Marguerite
- 2. Skin
Best documentary short
- 2. Black Sheep
- End Game
- A Night at the Garden
- 1. Period. End of Sentence.