Here are my predictions (first and second choice indicated) and a few thoughts especially on the few things I’ve actually seen so far. The winners will be announced on Sunday, January 5th 2020. Here’s my printable ballot sheet for you to make your own predictions.
The full list of nominees for the 77th Golden Globes are:
BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
1. THE IRISHMAN – Seems to almost definitely be the frontrunner here, though Scorsese hasn’t endeared himself very well recently, which could work against him.
2. JOKER – Could possibly take it as the critical reception was overwhelmingly positive.
THE TWO POPES
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
CYNTHIA ERIVO – HARRIET
2. SCARLETT JOHANSSON – MARRIAGE STORY
SAOIRSE RONAN – LITTLE WOMEN
CHARLIZE THERON – BOMBSHELL
1. RENÉE ZELLWEGER – JUDY
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
CHRISTIAN BALE – FORD V FERRARI
ANTONIO BANDERAS – PAIN AND GLORY
2. ADAM DRIVER – MARRIAGE STORY
1. JOAQUIN PHOENIX – JOKER – Is this even in need of debating? He’s a great actor, people were blown away by this performance, it’s near enough a lock.
JONATHAN PRYCE – THE TWO POPES
BEST MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
DOLEMITE IS MY NAME
2. JOJO RABBIT – I’m really looking forward to seeing this very soon, it looks wonderful and may manage a surprise win.
1. ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD – Obvious choice which has divided critics a little though not enough to make it an underdog.
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
2. ANA DE ARMAS – KNIVES OUT
1. AWKWAFINA – THE FAREWELL – One of the few I’ve seen so far and it’s brilliant. She’s wonderful, this should be an easy win.
CATE BLANCHETT – WHERE’D YOU GO, BERNADETTE
BEANIE FELDSTEIN – BOOKSMART
EMMA THOMPSON – LATE NIGHT
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
DANIEL CRAIG – KNIVES OUT
ROMAN GRIFFIN DAVIS – JOJO RABBIT
1. LEONARDO DICAPRIO – ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD
2. TARON EGERTON – ROCKETMAN – He’s local, would be nice to see him win, but I think as attention-grabbing as this role is, it’s potentially overshadowed by some of the other nominees.
EDDIE MURPHY – DOLEMITE IS MY NAME – Had some buzz before release but once it was out I heard very little about it and no buzz or praise has lingered so I doubt it’s win-worthy.
BEST MOTION PICTURE – ANIMATED
2. FROZEN 2 – Seems like an obvious choice, maybe too obvious and too soon.
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD
THE LION KING – Really beautiful visual work, but it added nothing of value to the story, so very unlikely to win.
1. TOY STORY 4 – The Toy Story films have been infallible, this had a high risk of disappointing, yet it didn’t, so I think may clinch a win out of relief and enduring affection.
BEST MOTION PICTURE – FOREIGN LANGUAGE
2. THE FAREWELL (USA) – Not going to win, sorry, the winner is as good as set.
LES MISÉRABLES (FRANCE)
PAIN AND GLORY (SPAIN)
1. PARASITE (SOUTH KOREA) – Clear winner, it’s dominating the conversations about foreign language films recently.
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE (FRANCE)
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN ANY MOTION PICTURE
KATHY BATES – RICHARD JEWELL
ANNETTE BENING – THE REPORT
2. LAURA DERN – MARRIAGE STORY
1. JENNIFER LOPEZ – HUSTLERS – There was a lot of buzz about this, though it’s not nominated otherwise, so this may be a win to show a general sense of support for a film that only narrowly missed out.
MARGOT ROBBIE – BOMBSHELL
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN ANY MOTION PICTURE
TOM HANKS – A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
ANTHONY HOPKINS – THE TWO POPES
2. AL PACINO – THE IRISHMAN
JOE PESCI – THE IRISHMAN
1. BRAD PITT – ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD
BEST DIRECTOR – MOTION PICTURE
1. BONG JOON HO – PARASITE – I just have a hunch that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association will exercise the foreign aspect of their organisation, going for someone who might otherwise be overlooked.
SAM MENDES – 1917
TODD PHILLIPS – JOKER
2. MARTIN SCORSESE – THE IRISHMAN – He’s not endeared himself in the industry recently with some critical comments that suggest some insensitivity to audiences and the current state of cinema and the changing nature of distribution.
QUENTIN TARANTINO – ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD
BEST SCREENPLAY – MOTION PICTURE
1. NOAH BAUMBACH – MARRIAGE STORY
BONG JOON HO, HAN JIN WON – PARASITE
ANTHONY MCCARTEN – THE TWO POPES
2. QUENTIN TARANTINO – ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD
STEVEN ZAILLIAN – THE IRISHMAN
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE – MOTION PICTURE
ALEXANDRE DESPLAT – LITTLE WOMEN
2. HILDUR GUÖNADÓTTIR – JOKER
RANDY NEWMAN – MARRIAGE STORY
1. THOMAS NEWMAN – 1917
DANIEL PEMBERTON – MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN
BEST ORIGINAL SONG – MOTION PICTURE
“BEAUTIFUL GHOSTS” — CATS – I can’t see anyone wanting to give Cats an award for anything.
2. “I’M GONNA LOVE ME AGAIN” — ROCKETMAN
1. “INTO THE UNKNOWN” — FROZEN 2 – Seems most likely.
“SPIRIT” — THE LION KING
“STAND UP” — HARRIET
BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
BIG LITTLE LIES
2. THE MORNING SHOW
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
2. JENNIFER ANISTON – THE MORNING SHOW
1. OLIVIA COLMAN – THE CROWN
JODIE COMER – KILLING EVE
NICOLE KIDMAN – BIG LITTLE LIES
REESE WITHERSPOON – THE MORNING SHOW
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
1. BRIAN COX – SUCCESSION
KIT HARINGTON – GAME OF THRONES
RAMI MALEK – MR. ROBOT
TOBIAS MENZIES – THE CROWN
2. BILLY PORTER – POSE
BEST TELEVISION SERIES – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
THE KOMINSKY METHOD
2. THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL – The only one I’ve actually seen in this category, consistently good, maybe not at its very best this last season, however.
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
CHRISTINA APPLEGATE – DEAD TO ME
2. RACHEL BROSNAHAN – THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL
KIRSTEN DUNST – ON BECOMING A GOD IN CENTRAL FLORIDA
NATASHA LYONNE – RUSSIAN DOLL
1. PHOEBE WALLER-BRIDGE – FLEABAG
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
MICHAEL DOUGLAS – THE KOMINSKY METHOD
1. BILL HADER – BARRY
BEN PLATT – THE POLITICIAN
2. PAUL RUDD – LIVING WITH YOURSELF – I really loved this show, it had some great ideas and developed them very well indeed, plus Rudd pulls a double shift so is rightly included in this category.
RAMY YOUSSEF – RAMY
BEST TELEVISION LIMITED SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
1. CHERNOBYL – I think this could, and should, sweep the awards for which it’s nominated.
THE LOUDEST VOICE
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
KAITLYN DEVER – UNBELIEVABLE
JOEY KING – THE ACT
HELEN MIRREN – CATHERINE THE GREAT
2. MERRITT WEVER – UNBELIEVABLE
1. MICHELLE WILLIAMS – FOSSE/VERDON
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR A MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
CHRISTOPHER ABBOTT – CATCH-22
SACHA BARON COHEN – THE SPY
RUSSELL CROWE – THE LOUDEST VOICE
1. JARED HARRIS – CHERNOBYL – Superb throughout, it was compelling and he anchored the whole series, a clear winner to me.
2. SAM ROCKWELL – FOSSE/VERDON
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
PATRICIA ARQUETTE – THE ACT
1. HELENA BONHAM CARTER – THE CROWN
TONI COLLETTE – UNBELIEVABLE
2. MERYL STREEP – BIG LITTLE LIES
EMILY WATSON – CHERNOBYL
BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
ALAN ARKIN – THE KOMINSKY METHOD
2. KIERAN CULKIN – SUCCESSION
1. ANDREW SCOTT – FLEABAG
STELLAN SKARSGÅRD – CHERNOBYL
HENRY WINKLER – BARRY